shadow left
  NOTE: downloadable forms are available in Adobe Acrobat format by simply clicking the PDF Icon. University of Fort Lauderdale received approval by the Department of Homeland Security to admit international students. International students may visit the US Embassy in their country and apply for an
I-20 Visa to gain access to University of Fort Lauderdale.

Understanding Your I-20

The I-20 is a multi-purpose document issued by a government approved, U.S. educational institution certifying that you have been admitted to a full-time study program and that you have demonstrated sufficient financial resources (scholarships, loans, grants, subsidies, family or personal resources) available to pay your school and living expenses to stay in the U.S.
  pdf icon
For your convenience we've added Spanish and Portuguese pdfs for our international students.
pdf icon Spanish Brochures
pdf icon Portuguese Brochures
The I-20 is officially titled the "Certificate of Eligibility" because with it, you are "eligible" to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Your spouse or children will also each need their own I-20 to obtain F-2 dependent status, if desired.

Getting the I-20 from a U.S. school is not enough to become a legal F-1 student; you must also be allowed entry to the U.S. as an F-1, or be approved for a change of status from another type of nonimmigrant visa. How the I-20 is created: After a school completes their admissions process, the admitted students' names, terms of study, including levels of study, fields of study, the expected dates to begin and complete studies and other biographic information are entered into a U.S. government database called SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). The SEVIS database processes the information and produces a "PDF" file of the I-20 that is sent back to the school via the internet. The school official (called the Designated School Official or DSO) prints and signs the I-20 and then delivers it to the student. If a student needs to update or change information on the I-20, the DSO makes these requests through SEVIS and the document can be easily reproduced.

How the I-20 is used by the student outside the U.S.:
After receiving an I-20 from their school, an international student must make an appointment to apply for the F-1 visa at the local U.S. embassy or consulate in their country. The visa is the document needed to be allowed entry into the U.S. The student must present both the F-1 visa and the I-20 to a U.S. Immigration inspector upon arrival at the port-of-entry. How the I-20 is used by a student inside the U.S.: Once you have arrived in the U.S. and passed through the border inspections process, it is used as identification purposes and proof of your legal status. If you get a job on or off-campus, you will be required to show the I-20 to your employer during the hiring process. Off-campus employment information will be printed on page 3 of your I-20. You will also be issued an 1-20 ID with your I-20 form. This second page is your official form of identification and you must have it with you at all times when you are in the United States. Does Everyone Need an I-20? Some international students do not need I-20s. If you are maintaining another nonimmigrant status in the U.S., you do not need an 1-20 and may be able to attend school full or part-time. For Information on how to be admitted to University of Fort Lauderdale, please log onto www.uftl.edu or contact the Admissions Department at 954-486-7728 ext. 408.

NOTE: downloadable forms are available in Adobe Acrobat format by simply clicking the PDF Icon.

shadow right